Over the past couple of years, I have been working towards healthy alternatives for many of my favorite foods. If your healthy eating habits have left you with a craving for cream cheese, I am excited to announce that there is a healthy alternative.
A simple technique for draining some of the liquid (known as the whey) from yogurt and the end result is a velvety soft “cheese” that can be substituted for cream cheese.
This so-called yogurt cheese is tangy and has a texture somewhere between soft cream cheese and firm cottage cheese. It is easily made at home from plain or flavored yogurts and can be used in spreads, dips and a variety of toppings.
Healthy Yogurt Cream Cheese
- Fine Mesh Strainer
- Paper Coffee Filter
- Mixing Bowl sized to fit the Mesh Strainer
- 3 cups Yogurt I use Chobani
- Place your fine mesh strainer inside your mixing bowl, then place your coffee filter inside your fine mesh strainer.
- Fill the coffee filter with 3 cups of yogurt.
- Place in the refrigerator, and let the yogurt drain overnight or at least 8 to 12 hours. You may cover with plastic wrap, but this is not critical. The longer the yogurt strains, the thicker it will become. I like the end result to be really thick and typically let the yogurt drain for two days. You may use it at anytime, even while still draining.
- When the yogurt has reached the desired level of thickness, remove it from the strainer and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
The cheese will keep for about a week and may be used just like cream cheese.