The holiday season can be a fun joyous time of the year, but if your anything like me, you want to do all the things and make everyone happy. This is a great quality to have until you snap and become a holiday Mama Grinch… No one wants to see that, so I have put together some helpful holiday hacks to make your holiday season beautiful.
- It is ok if traditions change: The holidays don’t have to be just like last year. As families change and grow, traditions may change as well. Choose a few to hold on to, and be open to creating new ones. Find new ways to celebrate together that adapts to your changing family.
- Learn to say “no”: This one is my favorite, but it is often the one I struggle with the most. I am a people pleaser, but Saying yes when you should say no can leave you feeling bitter and overwhelmed. It will be ok if you do not make it to every holiday event. People will be ok:)
- Set aside family drama: I know it’s hard, there’s always that one topic that comes up at the table, or that one family member that pushes that button. Do your best to accept family and friends as they are, and remember that we are all just human beings doing our best to make it in this world.
- Try to stay healthy: I know it’s hard, but don’t let the holidays become a free-for-all. Creating unhealthy habits will only add to your stress (and it will be more to work off come January).
- Take some time for yourself: Spending just 15 minutes alone, without distractions, may refresh you enough to handle everything you need to do. Take a warm bath, Find something that reduces stress by clearing your mind, slowing your breathing and restoring inner calm.
I hope this will help you as we journey into the most wonderful time of the year. If you have any suggestions or ideas on how to destress, leave them in the comments below:)